Did you know that Sharps Chapel has an FCE group? FCE is a nationwide organization. The Union County clubs, organized under the direction of the University of Tennessee, are dedicated to the purpose of helping people become better homemakers and community members. Home economics activities are carried out through monthly FCE meetings, special interest activities, workshops, mass media, and individual contacts. All clubs, activities and events are open to everyone regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. When not having special trips/events, Sharps Chapel FCE meets on the 3rd Thursday of the month @ 1 p.m. at the Sharps Chapel Community Center on Sharps Chapel Road near the Sharps Chapel Elementary School. Guests and new members are welcome! Contact: Carolyn Shields: 865-278-3890
- Genesis Nursing Home - Maynardville
- Keep Union County Beautiful
- Sharps Chapel Elementary School
- Sharps Chapel Volunteer Fire Department
- Threads of Grace Donations: (added 10/24/21) As a special projects volunteer for Caris Healthcare I’m currently making lap quilts for individuals who are receiving hospice care and family members who have lost a loved one. My hope is that these quilts will provide comfort and bless those who receive them. If anyone living in Sunset Bay has clean unused sewing fabric that you would like to donate, I can come retrieve these (no clothing, no bed linens and no smaller than 12x12 inches please). In addition, I’ve set up a gift list on Amazon making it easy for anyone to support this effort. Your donations will purchase the polar fleece fabric that is used on the quilt's backside (so they are soft as possible) and other sewing materials that are currently needed. I’d be happy to provide you with a picture like the one shown when your donation is used and I can be reached by text at the number below to coordinate your donation. Thank you for any contribution and know that your support is directly comforting someone who greatly appreciates your kindness! God bless, Joan Noble (207-703-6575)
- TN Achieves (added 10/13/2020)
- Union County Food Pantry:
Donation can be mailed to The Pantry's bookkeeper at: Union County Food Pantry, c/o Tracy Maples, 926 Beard Valley Road, Maynardville, TN 37807. For information, please contact Kitty Lewis (865-992-4335
Union County Food Pantry serves 300 people every other week. By participating in a buying program with Second Harvest, they have the opportunity to purchase food items at .19 cents a pound. While this is a major savings over local grocery stores, there are items that weigh too much to purchase regularly on the program budget. These items include flour, sugar and evaporated milk, things we all buy each time we shop.
The Union County Food Pantry also welcomes volunteers! Food Distribution Days are the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month from 2-5 p.m. Please contact Pat Blackburn at 865-278-3289
if you would be interested in volunteering or have any questions regarding their program.
On the second Saturday of each month, the Upper Room Ministries in New Tazewell, Tennessee, provides 200 boxes of food to Tennessee families in need. The food is provided by resources from the Second Harvest of East Tennessee and Upper Room Ministries. On the Friday before, the boxes of food are prepared. The links provided will tell you how you can donate and contains the 2021
dates to volunteer.